False Position Word Problem

 I recently painted two twenty-unit battalions of Warhammer 40k miniatures (toy soldiers for even bigger nerds) along with one four-unit squadron. This cost $44 in materials (paints, primer, etc.). If I were to paint one more twenty-unit battalion, how much would this cost me (assuming that prices are the same)?



If I were to solve this using the method of false position, I would begin by setting up an equation based on what I know: namely, that 2 sets of twenty and one fifth of a set of twenty cost $44.

2x+x/5=44

In order to deal nicely with the fraction, I will assume that the cost of a set of twenty (x) is five:

2(5)+5/5=44

10+1=44

11=44

Because I am off by a factor of four, I multiply my initial guess by four to get $20. A quick test demonstrates that this is correct:

2(20)+20/5=44

40+4=44

44=44.

Additionally, as a short reflection, I find this method intriguing. It's something I had never encountered before, despite doing a bit of research into historical math myself for other classes as well as always being on the lookout for new methods of approaching algebra for students. Something I particularly like about the method is how it focuses on choosing a reasonable, appropriate first guess. It's an elementary skill for you or I, but the idea of picking a convenient number (in this case 5) is both highly mathematical in its thinking and also very practical when students arrive at problems that involve making a table of values, for instance.

Comments

  1. OK, but I'd like to see you work this out here using the method of false position as well! Could you please add this in a revised post? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding your solution! One thing I would suggest avoiding is the use of non-equations with an equal sign (like 11=44). You will want to discourage your students from using the equal sign in this kind of situation, and it's important to model a better way of notating it. (I sometimes use an equal sign with a question mark above it...) Very interesting reflection on this process of false position!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you should say that: I also use a question mark above the equal sign when writing out by hand. I wasn't exactly sure how to translate that to typing. I suppose I could draw inspiration from the coding world (!=) and go with ?=.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Euclid Alone Has Looked On Beauty Bare

45 Factor Table Entries