Assignment 1 Reflection
My apologies for the delay on this reflection: it somehow escaped my checking of blog posts.
I found this project very interesting, especially the aspect of examining the historical method of solving. The problem is of moderate interest to me from my own mathematical perspective, but trying to figure out how ancient mathematicians approached it considering their very different understanding of geometry was the particularly fascinating part.
In putting together the presentation, I was very pleased that I was able to make a physical model of the proof, since I find visual proofs to be very elegant. I also really liked the way in which the problem scaffolded up from the simplest case to the most general and challenging. It was a good model for the process of building generalizations.
Something I think that we could have improved upon in our presentation was the depth with which we analyzed the original proof. We spent a lot of time trying to figure it out as a group, but our final presentation was primarily focused on the modern solution. This is, I think, a good metaphor for history in the curriculum as it currently stands. We give it credence in our teaching and in less summative assessment modes, but we struggle to take the bold step of centering it in the course. At least, that is what I have observed having now had the opportunity to be in a school setting for my short practicum.
Thank you, Jacob. Your thoughts on this are very interesting. I love the folding-out cube you constructed (one of my favourite models), and I appreciate the fact that it may be difficult for some to centre math history in math class. It's something to work on!
ReplyDelete