Assignment 3 Reflection

 The first and largest takeaway I have from this assignment is how very challenging historical research is. It was very easy to find resources on current techniques of triangulation and astronavigation, but much more challenging to find solid information on the ancient Polynesian methods. This something that I knew academically, in theory, but the practice of actually looking solidified the knowledge for me. I was also struck, as I think comes through in the poem, by the sheer arrogance with which Western colonial ideology was projected upon indigenous methods of mathematics. Again, something I would have professed understanding of, but feel more directly acquainted with now. 

This project also was an interesting endeavor to me because I am unused to being creative in a collaborative setting. I have some experience in writing and performing theatre in collaborative ways, but the act of creating poetry I find much more intimate and thus more challenging to bring to a group. Working with other people, even dividing up the diptych as we did, was a new experience. It's something that I am curious to explore more in my practice as an artist and creator.

Comments

  1. Thanks for these very interesting thoughts on the project. You and your group did a stellar job. I strongly encourage you to submit your poem to the Bridges Math and Art 2021 mathematical poetry reading! Here's the link: http://bridgesmathart.org/bridges-2021/2021-events/2021-poetry-reading/ The conference is SUPPOSED to be in Helsinki in July/ August, but I suspect that it will be online again this year as it was in 2020...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Euclid Alone Has Looked On Beauty Bare

45 Factor Table Entries